Anime Music Videos (AMVs) are an exciting fixture at anime conventions around the world, and Anime NYC is thrilled to announce our inaugural AMV contest at Anime NYC 2018.
AMVs selected for our contest will be presented on Friday and/or Saturday, with winners announced on Saturday night. Exact screening times will be published one month before Anime NYC begins.
Anime NYC is accepting submissions now until August 25th, 2018. All submissions must be submitted by 11:59 PM EDT August 25th, 2018 to qualify for participation and judging. You will hear back on the status of your AMV by September 25th.
Each video submitted must fall into one of the following categories:
AMVs spanning the worlds of anime and video games are eligible for entry:
- Only one entry per genre per individual or team. (Individuals may submit both an individual and team entry in each genre.)
- The minimum length of AMVs is 2 minutes and the maximum length allowed for AMVs is 5 minutes.
- All submissions must be at least 80% Japanese animation or video game footage.
- All videos must be rated PG-13 or below. Mature videos will not be accepted.
- All video editing and concepts must be your own.
- Majority of the audio for all AMVs must be music. Dialogue/narration may be used, but must not be the primary source of audio.
JUDGING & SCORING
AMVs are screened and scored by our judges prior to screening at Anime NYC. Judges consider AMVs based on the following factors:
- Technical (Audio/Sound, Editing, Graphics, Transitions, etc.)
- Concept & Development (Plot/Storyline Development, Audience Engagement, etc.)
- Visual Interpretation/Creativity (Unique Idea, Artistic Interpretations, Theme, etc.)
- Performance Quality (Images and Audio fit, etc.)
During the AMV screenings at Anime NYC, our audience will vote for their favorites for Audience Awards. Only AMVs that received top ratings from our judges will be screened at Anime NYC.
Do you want to take part in our AMV Contest as a judge? Please sign up to be on our judging panel now!
A Best Technical Award and Best Concept Award will be presented in each genre – as well as personal Judges Awards, Audience Awards, and an overall Best In Show. Awards will be given out on Saturday evening.
Please submit all videos digitally via our application form. Submissions received that do not comply will be disqualified.
- Do not add bumpers or credits to your video.
- Subtitles are only allowed if you’ve added them yourself.
- No visible studio/TV trademarks or watermarks may be included in your video submission.
- NTSC Only, submissions in PAL format will not be reviewed.
- MPEG 2, MP4, and uncompressed AVI are preferred format.
- No YouTube, Vimeo, or other links as submissions.
- No Audio bitrate less than 128kbps and/or a sample rate less than 44.1khz.
- No Video resolution less than 720×480 (16:9) or less than 640×480 (4:3).
- No obscure video codecs. If we cannot easily convert it, we can’t screen it.
- Non-Interlaced video (Progressive) video ONLY.
- We do not accept submissions via physical media.
Got it? Great! Put some clips together and tell us a story!