COSPLAY SAVES LIVES CAMPAIGN
Anime NYC Powered By Crunchyroll has joined with New York City Council Member Ben Kallos to create the Cosplay Saves Lives Campaign.
The COVID-19 coronavirus has caused a shortage of surgical masks, gowns, and personal protective equipment that are vital in hospitals across New York City and New York State. And cosplayers, costumers, and crafters can help!
Our recommended Mask Pattern is the Face Mask Sewing Pattern from Craft Passion. This pattern has been recommended by the Yale New Haven Hospital for crafters who look to assist making fabric masks at home.
Please carefully read the instructions on preferred materials and construction.
The following recommendations come from Masks4Medicine, and we recommend following them for any homemade masks made…
- New fabrics only please. People will be wearing these on their faces and used fabrics have too many unknowns.
- Color and pattern are unimportant.
- Light to medium weight cotton is preferable. It is plant based, natural fiber, inexpensive, woven or knit, breathable, durable and stands up well to washing. Historically medical face masks were constructed from cotton.
- Lightweight would be like a muslin (gauze is too porous)
- Medium weight would be like a thick T-Shirt
- Other materials may be suitable as well, but you will have to use your best judgement. The fabric should be able to stop a sneeze or cough from passing through it. At the same time it needs to be comfortable to wear against facial skin. It should wick moisture from the skin and dry quickly to avoid saturation from exhaled moisture.
- Avoid wool and silk.
- Pre-wash before cutting and sewing! This will avoid shrinkage.
- Hold fabric up to face to ensure breathability.
- Heavy fabrics like jeans will likely be too hot.
- Two layers are preferable, but one layer is acceptable.
- There are numerous reasonable options for the material for ties. It should be able to hold a knot well and shouldn’t stick to hair.
- Filters are great but difficult to make. They are not required.
Please click below for information on New York hospitals accepting the donation of fabric masks.
Maimonides Donation Center
1025 48th St
Brooklyn, NY 11219
Maimonides Medical Center is the largest hospital in Brooklyn. It is ranked one of the best in the nation and at the forefront of innovation in medical science. The Children’s Hospital at Maimonides is Brooklyn’s only children’s hospital, and more babies are born at Maimonides than any other hospital in New York State.
Before sending a donation to Maimonides, please email COVID-RESOURCES@maimonidesmed.org. You will receive a donation tracking number to include on the package.
C/O Nicole Seminara, MD
240 East 38th St
New York, NY 100169
Masks4Medicine is a group of doctors who work in NYC, and it works with frontline doctors across New York to provide masks directly to where they are most in need. Masks4Medicine has been profiled by the New York Times.
Attention: Bulk Warehouse
250 Fulton Ave
New Hyde Park, NY 11040
NYU Langone serves New Yorkers with six main hospitals and additional inpatient and outpatient facilities throughout New York City’s five boroughs, Long Island, New Jersey, and Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess Counties.
When donating, we ask you also email email@example.com. We hope to track the number of masks cosplayers have created.
SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
When creating masks, please share on social media with #cosplaysaveslives. You can also email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look to share, retweet, and celebrate every cosplayer who takes part.
If you have time and materials to make supplies for doctors and nurses, please sign up below. We will share with you additional recommended patterns, donation locations, and further information to help support the brave women and men leading the fight against coronavirus in New York.
DOCTORS & NURSES
If you are a doctor, nurse, medical professional, or first responder needing materials that can be made by cosplayers and crafters, please let us know. We’ll reach back out to discuss if we can create the supplies you need.