The Anime NYC Masquerade will take place during the weekend of AnimeNYC on our Main Stage. The date and time are not yet finalized, so the masquerade may be held on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday – with prejudging potentially happening in the preceding hours or the day before the contest. The masquerade staff will let all applicants know via email as soon as the date and time is finalized. ALL MASQUERADE ENTRANTS MUST PRE-REGISTER.
Costumes spanning the worlds of anime, manga, video games, musicals, books, and even comics and movies are all eligible for entry (original characters, too), but please note costumes must comply with Anime NYC’s Cosplay and Weapons Policies.
There are two ways to compete…
CRAFTSMANSHIP ONLY – If competing as a Craftsmanship only contestant, contestants will go on stage individually or in their group, exhibit two to three poses as our emcee reads the entrant’s costume description, and then exit. If competing in a group, awards will be given to the group, not individuals. (Note: you must attend pre-judging to compete in this entry type.)
- PERFORMANCE – You may also compete for a Craftsmanship award in the Performance category if your costume matches the Craftsmanship award requirements listed in the Awards section below. (Note: Performance entries do not need to be part of Craftsmanship judging, but can be should you wish.)
The competition is split into four categories…
- Beginner – Anyone who has never won a major costume contest award.
- Intermediate – Anyone who has won between one to three major awards.
- Advanced – Anyone who has won four or more major awards.
- Kids – Contestants must be 11 – 15 years of age or older to compete.
You are welcome to compete at a higher level should you want to. Professional costumers may only compete at the Advanced level. If entering as a group, your category is determined by the most experienced member of your group. Adults may not enter a group in the Kids category; however, kids may enter with adults in a group in another category if they wish, but this means they will be judged for that group’s skill category. If you have questions or concerns about what category you should enter, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that group entries are judged as a group overall. Individuals in the group are not judged on an individual basis.
Any costume is eligible to compete on stage in performance, but only costumes that are at least 75% created by the wearer are eligible for Craftsmanship awards – with Craftsmanship Judging taking place prior to the Masquerade.
If you are taking part in Craftsmanship Judging, you must attend prejudging before the contest during which time our judges will meet with you to review your costume and ask you questions about its creation. Please note a build book will be required as a part of Craftsmanship judging. Time slots will be shared in advance of the convention for contestants to pick their prejudging time. If you have further questions, please review the Cosplay Contest FAQ.
Anime NYC provides free admission to all cosplayers participating in our Masquerade! All Masquerade participants must have badges to Anime NYC. If you are accepted into the Anime NYC Masquerade, your will be issued a badge as a thank you for your time and effort on stage. (Only applying for the Masquerade does not guarantee free admission.)
RULES FOR THE MASQUERADE
All participants are encouraged to attend a rehearsal, time TBA. Attendance is required for performances and is recommended but not required for craftsmanship only participants. Full costumes are not needed for the rehearsal, but if you have a very large costume that restricts mobility, please bring it to ensure you can enter and exit the stage.
When on stage, please keep the following guidelines in mind for time. We will be strictly enforcing this.
- Craftsmanship Only – 30 seconds
- Performance (1-2 people) – Up to 90 seconds
- Performance (3-5 people) – Up to 2 minutes and 30 seconds
- Performance (6+ people) – Up to 3 minutes
All music/backing tracks (mp3 only), slideshows (PDF only), or videos for performances must be submitted digitally and in advance. No music for performances will be accepted on the day of the show. You will receive additional information on submitting your music/backing tracks in your acceptance email.
When planning your time on stage, please keep in mind that there will be children in the audience. Please keep your costume and/or performance equivalent to a PG-13-rated film. No explicit sexual references, gestures, or language will be allowed. Any presentation that violates this rule will be disqualified and may be asked to leave the stage during their performance. Usage of any foul or abusive language is grounds for instant disqualification and removal from the Masquerade.
And here are some other things to keep in mind…
- Don’t jump off the stage. The audience is also not allowed to approach the stage.
- No projectiles are to be thrown on to the stage and don’t throw anything from the stage.
- There is no adult-related content allowed on stage. Keep all performances respectful and appropriate for general audiences.
- All props, setups, and scenery must be taken down after your performance. Do not leave any items behind that can hinder the contestants after you. Don’t make a mess.
- You must be able to walk on/off stage and maneuver freely in your costume without assistance.